Patents & other records involving MUNDAYS & MUNDAY Headrights
7 February 1624/5
Jamestown Muster: Muster of Capt. William Tucker of Elizabeth Cittie included himself, his wife and child, two Negroes, and 15 young men. Robart Munday, age 18, was one of six who arrived on the ship George in 1623. [Virtual Jamestown database. Also in John Camden Hotten’s The Original Lists of Person of Quality, p244.]
2 January 1634/5
Transport: Theis under written are to be transported to Virginia, imbarqued in ye Merchant “Bonaventure”, James Riccoste Mr. [Master], bound thither, having taken the oath of allegiance… William Munday [age] 22… [“Immigrants to Virginia”, Virginia County Records, Vol. VI, No. 2 (June 1909), p154. Also published in 1874 in John Camden Hotten’s The Original Lists of Person of Quality, p35.]
4 May 1636
Land Patent: Robert West, 100 acres Elizabeth City County, for transportation of two persons: John Reeves, Symon Mondye. [Virginia Patent Book 1, p342.]
23 May 1637
Land Patent: Theodore Moyses, 2,000 acres in James City County butting on Chickahominy River for transportation of 40 persons including Thomas Monday. [Virginia Patent Book 1, p428.]
24 March 1638/9
Land Patent: John Walton, 200 acres in Accomack County due for transportation of four persons: Thomas Carter, Robert Munday, Wm. Glover, John Roberts. [Virginia Patent Book 1, p637.]
9 March 1639/40
Land Patent: George Minifye, 3,000 acres north side of Charles River, for transportation of 60 persons including William Munday [Virginia Patent Book 1, p704.]
See will of Thomas Pawlett below.
23 May 1642
Land Patent: William Eyres, 50 acres in Upper Norfolk County on an arm of the west branch of Nansemond River, for transportation of 15 persons including John Mondy. [Virginia Patent Book 1, p778.]
12 January 1643/4
Will of Capt. Thomas Pawlett of Charles City County: …my ex’s to pay William Munday 30s due from my Bro. Childeck Pawlett…[William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 4, No.7 (January 1896), p152.]
The will makes bequests to “my loving friends Mr. George Menifie and Mr. Walter Aston”. So this is evidently the same William Munday used as a headlight by George Menefie in 1640.
20 October 1646
York County Orphan’s Court [punctuation added]: It is ordered with the consent of Mr. Edmund Chisman father in law to John Lilley orphant, William Barber father in law to ye orphants of John Dennet, vizt. Thomas Dennett, Margarett Dennett, & Sarah Dennett, & David Foxe father in law to ye orphants of Clark and Munday, that the estates belonging to the sd. sev’r’all orphants wch this day they have given an acco’t of this to yis Co’rt shall henceforward with all their increase freely come & belong unto the sd. orphans… [William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 4 (April 1914), p246. Also in: Beverley Fleet, abstractor, Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Vol. XXV, “York County 1646-1648”, p19.]
Note that father-in-law probably should be read as stepfather in these cases. The term stepfather did not exist yet, so that when a widow with children remarried her new husband was legally the father in law of her children (who were legally orphans because their father was dead.) That is, it is likely that David Foxe has married a widow who was previously married to a Clark and a Munday.
Same court: A True and just acc’t of the principalll and increase of all the catle belonging to the orphans of Munday and Clarke since the Deed of gift and delivery of the same being the 19th day of March 1645.. To Michell Munday two Cowes named play and Browneing and one cowe calf; The increase of Browneing being nothing she being barren; was killed__ and a cowe calfe put in the stock named ___ calfe Dead; The Cow Calfe being now a cowe and called Crumpell hornes hath one Cowe Calfe. [Similar entries for John Clarke, Arthur Clarke, Eliz. Clarke, and Ann Clarke.] Signed: Davy Fox. [William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 4 (April 1914), p246. Also in: Beverley Fleet, abstractor, Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Vol. XXV, “York County 1646-1648”, p20.]
29 July 1650
Land Patent: John Mangor, 300 acres on north side of Rapahannock River, in Corotoman River on the east side of the easternmost branch thereof… for transportation of 16 persons including Mary Munday. [Virginia Patent Book 2, p215.]
10 May 1652
Land Patent: John Robbins, 600 acres in Northampton County for transportation of 12 persons…John Munday (Munday?)… [Virginia Patent Book 3, p251.]
25 March 1656
Land Patent: Southey Littleton, 2,340 acres in Northampton County at Nondris Creek bounded by the main bay of Chesepeak & Arracock Creek… for transportation of 47 persons including Jno. Munday. Renewed 26 November 1661. [Virginia Patent Book 4, p19.]
9 October 1656
Land Patent: Peeter(sic) Knight, 925 acres on Petowmack River and Chappawansicke Creek retaken up for transportation of 19 persons including Wm. Mundy. [Virginia Patent Book 4, p71.]
19 March 1657/8
Land Patent: Capt. Edward Streater, 3,000 acres in Westmoreland County for transportatiojn of 60 persons including Wm. Mundy. [Virginia Patent Book 4, p143.]
8 August 1658
Land Patent: George Chapman, 1,000 acres in New Kent County on north side of Mattapony River for transportation of 20 persons including Robert Munday. [Virginia Patent Book 4, p186.]
7 October 1658
Land Patent: Christopher Harris], 2,000 westmoreland County on the south side of Potomeck River, for transportation of 40 persons including Margarett Munday [Virginia Patent Book 4, p210.]
11 September 1662
Servant Registration: Thomas Munday [contracted to] Walter Sherland, [for] 4 years [to] Virginia. [Peter Wilson Coldham, The Bristol Registers of Servants sent to Foreign Plantations, (Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988), p181.]
25 September 1663
Land Patent: William Munday 300 acres “lying in a small creek called Curratucks, falling into Kecougtancke River, which river falls into Carralina… mouth of a swamp where Mr. John Harney’s land ends.. near the mouth of the creek…”, for the transport of 6 persons: Wm. Edmonds, Joseph Gibson, Robt. Read, Rich. Smith, Sam’ll Warren, James Bard. [Virginia Patent Book 4, p94.]
This tract is in Old Albemarle County, North Carolina. Although there is a Currituck Creek in modern Hertford and Bertie counties, this appears to refer to what is now called Indian Creek which flows into the Kecougtanke (now called North River) which falls into the Carolina River (now Albemarle Sound). John Harvey’s patent for 600 acres was issued the same day.
William Munday left a will dated 3 December 1688 and probated two months later on 28 January 1688/9 naming his wife ”Emmay”, son William Munday and daughter Elizabeth Munday.
1 June 1664
Land Patent: Major John Washington, 1,100 acres for transportation of 22 persons including “John Munday 3 tymes” [Virginia Patent Book 5, p168.]
John Munday may have been a mariner or a trader, making multiple trips to Virginia, not necessarily a permanent resident traveling outside the colony.
9 November 1666
Land Patent: Nathaniel Ino & George Radcliffe, 1200 acres in Accomack County near Potomack River, for transportation of 24 persons including Jno. Mundy. [Virginia Patent Book 6, p20.]
10 October 1669
Servant Registration: Samuell Munday [contracted to] Samuel Westaby, [for] 4 years [to] Virginia. [Peter Wilson Coldham, The Bristol Registers of Servants sent to Foreign Plantations, (Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988), p259.]
__ April 1680
Marriage: Robert Munday & Sarah Sackerman [The Parish Register of Christ Church, Middlesex County, Virginia from 1653 to 1812 (Genealogical Publishing Co., 1964) p20.]
2 October 1680
Land Patent: John Tankard, 2000 acres in Accomack County called Comforts Quarters between Gingoteag, Accocomson & Pacomocke… transportation of 40 persons including Antho. Munday. [Virginia Patent Book 7, p66.]
22 September 1682
Land Patent: Michael Tucker & Lyonel Morris, 2000 acres in New Kent County for transportation of 40 persons including Jon. Monday. [Virginia Patent Book 7, p189.]
16 April 1683
Land Patent: Mr. George Morris, 5000 acres in New Kent & Rappahannock Counties for transportation of 40 persons including Robt. Monday. [Virginia Patent Book 7, p248.]
22 October 1684
Indenture: Robert Munday, age 21, bound in London to William Person for 4 years, destination not noted. [Virtual Jamestown database “Register of Servants Sent to Foreign Plantations”.]
20 April 1694
Land Patent: Thomas Turton, 91 acres in Princess Anne County in Linhaven Parish, for importation of two persons: Richard Monday, Mary Jones. [Virginia Patent Book 8, p356.]
16 October 1694
Land Patent: Mr. Charles Brown, 920 acres in Essex County on branches of Occupation Run. & Cockelshell Creek, for importation of 19 persons including Tho. Monday. [Virginia Patent Book 8, p399.]
!6 of the 19 names are from a certificate awarded to George Taylor on 5 March 1689/90 in the Essex County court. That is, it was George Taylor who claimed the importation.
21 June 1699
The Governor and Council established the treasury right to land patents, whereby one could patent land by paying 5 shillings per fifty acres. This was considerably less expensive that the cost of transport from overseas. It also reduced and eventually eliminated what had become the widespread use of bogus and previously used headright certificates. Hereafter the use of headrights declined and eventually disappeared.
20 October 1704
Land Patent: Francis Merriwether, 2200 acres in Essex County on branches of Hoskins Creek, for transportation of 44 persons including Math. Munday. [Virginia Patent Book 9, p618.]
Frances Merriwether and the Thomas Munday who lived in Essex County were neighbors and knew one another. The identity of Mathew Munday is a mystery – no one fo that name appears in Essex records.
6 April 1708
Marriage: John Munday & Frances Dudley [The Parish Register of Christ Church, Middlesex County, Virginia from 1653 to 1812 (Genealogical Publishing Co., 1964) p80.]
23 December 1724
Land Patent: Robert Farish, John Pigg & John May, 2000 acres in a fork of Mattapony River about 2 miles above Doeg Town, for importation of 40 persons including Ed. Munday. [Virginia Patent Book 10, p225.]
The Doeg were an Indian tribe. The Mattaponi River was the border between King William County and King and Queen County, although other patents imply that the “Doeg Town” was perhaps far enough up the river to be in Caroline County.